“You are what you do, not what you say you’ll do.” ~ Carl Jung
Being Of Service
With the holiday crunch approaching, everyone seems frantic to get more likes on their Facebook page, boost more posts, get more followers on Instagram. All for the purpose of shouting out “Buy My Stuff.”
Social tools are not designed as platforms to shout messages. They are about connecting authentically and building relationships.
Just when I think the message must be universal, I meet people to whom this message is new. Wonderful! Another opportunity to educate.
My first piece of advice is to adopt the attitude of Being of Service.
The Holidays + Being of Service = A Perfect Combination
At this time of year, people hear a lot of “Buy My Stuff” messages.
The holiday season is a perfect time to practice Being of Service.
When you choose Being of Service, your tone and content change. You connect emotionally, therefore,no longer in the mainstream. You differentiate yourself by shifting from “Buy My Stuff” to “How Can I Help.”
Suggestions for Being Of Service This Holiday Season
When I Googled “Being of Service during the holiday season,” I got results about customer service but nothing about being of service. Here are some suggestions to get you started.
- Organize a Holiday Card Drive – Get involved now. Organize an office or store day where employees and customers fill out cards to be delivered to a local Nursing Home or Assisted Living.
- Support Your Food Pantry – Connect with your local Food Pantry. Find out what they need. Gather the requested items from employees and customers. Then volunteer to help accept deliveries, put donation boxes together or even distribute food.
- Surprise and Delight Your Customers – Is there something special you know a customer could use, benefit from or is in need of? Why not make it your mission to meet these needs.
- Volunteer at a Community Gift Wrapping and Delivery Program – Tireless organizations are gathering names of families and to fulfill their Christmas wishes. Take time to volunteer as a company or help them acquire some of the more expensive needs.
- Use Social Tools to Help – A simple way of Being of Service on your social channels is to offer help in the form of answering common customer questions. Use your blog, Facebook page or Pinterest Page to share.
- Be There For Your Customers – The holidays can be stressful on so many levels, being available for your customers, not just to sell them something, but to help, listen or offer support can go a long way in helping them.
There are so many ways Being of Service can benefit your company. Use the holidays to jump start your Being of Service campaign for the up and coming year.
For more Holiday Marketing Tips, sign-up for our weekly email. Starting October 15 and only running until January, you will get timely tools to help before, during and after the holidays.